Home Forums Church History I Week #7 Class Resonses Do you think the Crusades were morally justified?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

To my understanding the point of the Crusades was to hinder/stop the spread of Islam and also to gain access to the Holy Land. The Bible calls us to live at peace with everyone (Romans 18:12) but God also says that there is a time for war (Ecclesiastes 3). It was important that the spread of Islam was slowed down and it was also important to possess the Holy Land, so in this case, with my (very) limited knowledge I do think that the Crusades were justified. Had the Christians asked for peace or went about getting the Holy Land another way it may have taken years and years of frustration and annoyance. There may have been other ways to go about acquiring the Holy Land and in today’s day and age things would likely be much different but despite the knowledge we have now, the Christians made a decision and followed through and their decision did not majorly backfire. The Crusades were attempting to right some wrongs that had been done to them and though two wrongs do not make a right considering the circumstances surrounding the Crusades I do think that the Christians took the right steps of action.

Anonymous
    Inactive

To my (also limited) knowledge of the crusades I think that I would agree with you. I think that in the acts that they were trying to protect/take back what was already theirs rather than trying to expand and to gain more power it was justifiable to take military action. If they had sat back and done nothing all of their territory would have been taken over, many more lives lost, and they would not have had control of the Holy Land.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.