Home Forums Church History I Week #7 Class Resonses Just War Theory For Determining Military Action

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 10 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I think that politicians today should use Augustine’s Just War theory as a base line for determining when to take military action. Romans 12:18 tells us that we should live at peace with everyone if at all possible, however, this is not always achievable. I think this is the same idea as Augustine saying that a Christian’s default should be pacifism. We should not seek out a fight for no reason. But we are also told in Romans 13:1-4 that the government does not bear the sword for no reason, but it does bear the sword, and God has given them the authority to use it when it is necessary to carry out justice. This applies to Augustine’s point that says that if faced with a great wrong that could only be stopped by violence, it would be a great sin to sit back and not take action. Therefore, military action may be used for protection, but not for gain, or just for the sake of fighting.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I completely agree with this all. God definitely calls us to love but He also wants us to stand up for what is right even if that means war. So like you have said, if the war is justifiable than fight for freedom but if it is just fighting for no reason then Christians should not participate.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I appreciate your perspective on this! It can be difficult in our culture to trust and submit to authority in situations such as this.. I do think Christians can take part in military services, and it is possible even that it can be a great representation of the faith to get involved in missions for peace, rather reject the notion altogether!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.