Home Forums Church History I The Purpose of History According to Nehemiah 9

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I think that the purpose of history according to Nehemiah 9 is to learn from events that happened in the past. The purpose of history is seen in recognizing God’s goodness and faithfulness which is outlined in verses 5-15 22-25, and 32-35, but also in highlighting Israel’s disobedience in verses 16-18 and 26-31.Knowing and learning about God’s character and the way that he has acted in the past would have helped the people in this time and helps us to trust in him and to remember and keep his commands. Recognizing the Israelites disobedience and the consequences of this would have put a desire in the people of this time and in us to not make the same mistakes or to follow the same patterns that they did.

Anonymous
    Inactive

These are great points! In reading your post I was also reminded of how as we inevitably struggle with the same sins and fall into the same mistakes so many years later. In that we can be thankful and humbled that the God of Nehemiah 9 is the same today. Slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love, ready to forgive, merciful and gracious. (V 17).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.