Home Forums Church History I Week #7 Class Resonses Were the Crusades Morally Justified?

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

This is a difficult topic to try to make a decision on as it seems like there is no black or white answer. One thing I don’t understand about the Crusades is why they felt like they had to retake the Holy Land. I know they held the places and objects in high regard, but once they had conquered the places and figured their work was done, a lot of them decided to just go back home. If it was so important to them, why didn’t they settle in it and defend it? The Crusades could be justified by going back to the Old Testament and seeing how God lead the people of Israel to take over the land that He was giving to them. They were told to destroy everything in their path that was going to distract them from serving God. With the Crusades, in the land that they took, there were objects and places that they believed they were going to use to be places of worship, but instead it sounded like the places and relics were worshipped themselves, rather than bringing Christians closer to God. In the early days of Christianity there were no thoughts of trying to take over the Romans because they had nowhere near the military power needed, but also because they believed that God didn’t need them to fight in order for Christianity to survive and spread. They lived under persecution and times of indifference and somehow Christianity survived even when it wasn’t the majority religion and without military aid. I think if I had to make a decision on whether or not the Crusades were morally justified, I would say that they were not. God wants us to live at peace with one another and God doesn’t need land, He wants people to give Him their hearts. It is extremely hard to preach the Gospel to people who have been hurt by the people who are telling them to love everyone. Relationships need to be mended because of the Crusades in order for Muslims and Jews to even possibly want to hear what we have to say. It was very harmful to Christianity to have the Crusades in our history and in some ways we are still working through the damage that was done, not only with the Muslims and Jews, but also among the Christian community.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with what you said on how it is extremely hard to preach the gospel to people who have been hurt by the people who are sharing the Word of God to them. Especially when the people who are sharing yet hurting the people, are contradicting it. It would have been way better if the Crusades had went about it the right way needed.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.