Home Forums Church History I Week #7 Class Resonses Were the Crusades Morally Justified?

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 months ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

In regards to the Crusades, it is difficult to judge whether or not they were justified, simply because I am so far removed from that point in history. My limited understanding of the circumstances proves challenging in forming an opinion on this. I do agree that Christians should remain peaceful when ever possible. I am just not sure what could constitute as dire circumstances where that is not possible. Would it have been possible for Christians to achieve their goals without the crusades? I wish it so, especially considering that the crusades were often considered failed missions. Can a Christian respond with force and be justified? I think so, it is just complicated when considering case by case, war by war, who makes that call? Each for themselves? That doesn’t seem right, the Church? The government? If faced with a scenario under the Just War Theory today, I truly would be stumped.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I too am not sure what i would do when faced under the Just War theory. I honestly kind of hope i am never faced with that question. For dire circumstances i would think to protect the innocent would probably be the only reason i would feel okay with going to war.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.